Monday, July 30, 2012

Think Christmas? Oh, yes!

Today is the first day of
 
 
This blog hop will get your creative juices stirred and I'm certain will inspire some early Christmas projects.    I'm looking forward to seeing what my friends on the hop have been stitching and hope that you'll join us!
 
I've been working on a few blocks to share...
 
 

but even though my creative energies have been focused on the winter season, my kitchen is full of the signs of the growing season.  I spent 9 hours yesterday,  canning 80lbs. of cucumbers ...
Fresh dill, a clove of garlic and a pinch of hot pepper = tasty pickles! (The jar of the right was the last jar I filled, so it received extra garlic to help fill the space - pickled garlic is delish ;o)
into 63 quarts of dill pickles!  This  should  better be enough to see the 4 of us through the next year.
My hubby and sons really, really like homemade dill pickles, but since I didn't can any in 2011, they have been pining for them.  Knowing that they can go through a jar/week,  I think I'm safe with a nearly a dozen more than that magic number of 52. Lol...
Check it out! 63 quarts of homemade dill pickles from 80lbs of cukes.  I thought I'd break my previous record of 65 quarts from 75lbs... I always pack my jars as full as possible, but this year I must really have fit those cukes in close.  Nothing feels as rewarding as seeing these jars full of homemade goodness.  Definitely worth the  work (and the lingering smell of dill, vinegar and garlic... ;o)

Okay, I'm off to finish getting those jars washed, labelled and stored.  Before I go, here's the line-up of wonderful ladies sharing  blocks today...

July 30












5 comments:

  1. *Sandra sneaks far west, grabs half a dozen jars of pickles, then hoofs it home silently, but with a smirk*!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg are any of you expecting? when i was pregnant i craved pickles so bad that my dh would buy me a case ...lol i think yours would have been better....x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a record! Congratulations! I have a total of 20 jars of cucumbers :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I don't think I have ever seen so many jars of pickles in one place! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love homemade dill pickles - my mom made the best! I haven't made any in ages but next summer I'm going to be at home all summer so I'm planning to have some done up just like yours. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...