Last Minute Christmas QAL - a finish

I decided to "go for a finish" using all those paper pieced Christmas tree blocks I stitched (using one of Julianna's darling patterns) to have a completed project in time to enter her contest.
 


Talk about a last minute dash to finish!  Good thing I had a quiet day at home for turning those blocks into a flimsy by this afternoon.  Nothing like a deadline to push me to finish.  I debated endlessly about what project to make with these blocks, not due to a lack of ideas - but rather because I had several!

My final block layout for the table runner.

Ultimately, I decided to put them together to make a table runner to fit our antique buffet, knowing it will get lots of use and add cheer to our décor during the winter months.

Just before sunset, I took my latest finish outside for a photo session on the fresh fallen snow.

I shared my palette choice for these blocks in this post, with the idea that these colours would work beyond Christmas.  It meant that lots of colours were mixed together and I knew I needed a simple finish to tie it all together.  I opted for a two fabric binding, pairing a striped fabric (in all the tree colours) for accent, with the grey fabric I used as the block background.  I love the results! (I used this style of binding for my Oh, Joy! Patchwork Pillow).

Two fabric binding adds just a hint of accent and ties in the various colours that were used for the paper pieced trees.

Bright trees and a patterned background fabric needed only the simplest quilting, in my opinion.  I used my walking foot to free hand quilt random wavy lines the length of the runner. 


The runner finishes at 15.75" x 57" -  a custom fit for our antique buffet, which I accomplished by trimming down the blocks a bit.  I thought staggering the five blocks worked rather nicely for the finished layout but it's a tricky thing to photograph  when it's laying full length. ;o)



 Outdoor shot (above) and indoors (below). 
 
 
I want to thank Julianna for all the beautiful paper piecing blocks she designed and shared for free.  I still have plans for more projects to make from them and more blocks I want to try.  It has been a fun month of paper piecing!  

Christmas QAL
 
  I'm linking up my finish for Julianna's Last Minute Christmas Sampler QAL along with all the other participants (here) and with Amanda Jean's - Finish it up Friday!

Comments

  1. This is the perfect use for the tree pattern! And how wonderful to have to custom fitted for your dresser! I love the fine strip of binding too! Congratulations Katherine on a beautiful runner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the trees look great............I like the runner............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, this is gorgeus! Fantastic idea to make table runner and you picked lovely Fabrics, not only for Christmas! Double binding is perfect! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what a gorgeous finish it is! I really like the double binding that you added.

    I've saved all of Julianna's blocks and am planning to make some in the New Year working with fabrics from stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great finish. I love how you staggered the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute, Katherine! You are so good at choosing fabrics to make things really pop. Enjoy your runner in good health... Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The two fabric binding was perfect for this project! Cute finish! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using your tree blocks to make this cute runner was a clever idea. I love the addition of the flanged binding. Sets it off just right! Beautiful job, Katherine! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love love love those trees and the fun fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The trees turned out so adorable and using them in the runner is just perfect! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful! Love the colors and the nice touches that you added too. Hope your Christmas was very merry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this runner, such a great idea to repeat the blocks too. Love your contrast binding, I will have to try that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wspaniały las choinek... świetne połączenie kolorów... gratulacje :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW when you decide to make a quick project, you really get down to business! Love the tablerunner - I just love those colourful trees, and that extra tiny border is the perfect kick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations! Great work :)
    Greeting from Poland
    Kamila

    ReplyDelete
  16. it's lovely! I love the multi-coloured trees and the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, it's fabulous, Katherine! Love that piped binding - just the right pop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! Love all colours - so bright, perfect with gray background!
    Congratulations!
    Maja.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I love the little pop of color in the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This turned out so beautiful, great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!