I finished and couldn't wait for a sunny day before taking pictures to show you my quilt made from thrifted sheets and a couple of pillowcases.
The pattern for this quilt is in the book, In Stitches. Anyone familiar with this pattern can see that I didn't use the recommended fabrics - vintage sheets are nowhere near the weight of the decorator weight fabrics shown in the book's version. I also didn't follow the directions given for assembling the quilt, which means I didn't stitch the fabrics to a foundation, I pieced them together. The quilt in the book has geometric quilting, but again I didn't quilt exactly as the book shows. When I got to the machine quilting step, from block to block I just chose a different width between stitched rows and varied the direction to keep it interesting. I wanted each block to be stitched differently and I managed to do that for every block on this quilt. I think I like the backing of the quilt as much as the front. All those rows of quilting are easier to see from the back.
I am so pleased with how my quilt turned out (I'm just sorry about the off-colour photos... we've had so many overcast days lately that I grew impatient waiting for the sun so I ended up with these poor shots in terms of colour).
It has been fun giving new life to old linens. I will definitely be making more quilts from vintage sheets. I cannot resist those retro fabrics!