A little sewing time this weekend, resulted in a sweet and satisfying finish for the scrappy terrific tulip blocks I shared last week.
|Using straight pins to temporarily hold my project layers together so I could hand baste to prepare for machine quilting.|
Since I didn't think I'd need my basting pins for our summer stay on the mountain, I didn't include them in the sewing items I set aside and instead, I packed them up in a box for storage. This turned out to be an oversight! I've had several projects over the past few months that I've needed my basting pins for and this latest bit of patchwork was no exception.
My solution for not having basting pins? Use my extra long straight pins to hold the layers together, for me to hand baste. I did not want to try machine quilting with straight pins in my project - that no doubt would have resulted in some uncomfortable pin pricks (and likely blood on my project!).
|Pieced and quilted on my Singer Featherweight 221!|
This was the first time that I used my Singer Featherweight 221 for quilting! I have quilted and pieced on my Singer 15-91 and my Singer 201, but both of these machines are currently in storage, so my Featherweight got the job. I must say, she did it quite beautifully.
Ta-da! I took two terrific tulip blocks pieced from my Tilda fabric scraps and turned them into zipper pouch.
I literally made this design up as I went (other than using my pattern for the terrific tulip blocks - which is half scale to the version I have for sale on Craftsy).
The interior seams are all bound with the same sweet bias binding that I made for the top edge, which gives the pouch a pretty and clean finish.
The final detail that makes me extra happy, is the fussy cut tag I added to the zipper pull. I am a "Maker"!
I am always amazed at just how satisfying I find scrap sewing and how much I LOVE the finished results. This little make was a tangent - the idea for it popped into my head while I was working on some pattern writing. Boy, am I glad that I decided to act on the idea!