Getting There

I thought I'd share my scrappy redwork project today, even thought it is still a work-in-progress. Here is one part of the project, a table runner, shown at the basted stage in the quilting process. I thought machine quilting it freehand with a continuous whimsical heart design would be fitting. This is what my test piece looked like. I always have a test piece to stitch on before I quilt my project. The test piece lets me check thread tension, stitch formation and to just 'warm-up' my quilting muscles. ;o)

Having experimented on the test piece I felt ready to tackle the actual project. Going freehand with machine quilting is very liberating and also a bit intimidating at first. Telling myself to let go of my perfectionist tendencies and just let the stitches flow for this project was hard initially. Once I got over seeing the flaws or jerky looking bits, I really got into the quilting.


Sadly my quilting thread ran out before the completion of my project. That's the trouble with freehand quilting. I always use more thread than I think I will. This time it meant that I was caught short and since I'm not inclined to pick out the stitches I made in red and then re-quilt it all with white ('cause I have plenty of white thread onhand, doncha know ;o), I need to get more red thread to finish this up. Now the debate is - should I run down to the fabric store and pay more for the thread and have it right away... or wait and order thread for less online with a friend? Tough choice, isn't it?

Comments

  1. very cute! i would get more red thread myself. AND place a thread order with a friend lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute Katherine! I've tried that sort of quilting before and it is very hard - I'm impressed!!
    I would also do both - fabric store and order some as well. You never know what treasure you may find in the fabric store...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful hearts... a trip to the fabric store is well deserved! What kind of thread do you usually use for machine-quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Shop! The Shop! The Shop! Then again I was always the 'russian' type!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very seasonal...personally I would order the thread...but then I'm a cheapskate! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely!! Your quilting is gorgeous - hope you are able to finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, you could tell your friend to get her butt in gear, LOL. :) your quilting looks LOVELY! i always do a test piece before quilting, too, because I HATE stitch ripping.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!