Friday, February 13, 2009

Getting There

I thought I'd share my scrappy redwork project today, even thought it is still a work-in-progress. Here is one part of the project, a table runner, shown at the basted stage in the quilting process. I thought machine quilting it freehand with a continuous whimsical heart design would be fitting. This is what my test piece looked like. I always have a test piece to stitch on before I quilt my project. The test piece lets me check thread tension, stitch formation and to just 'warm-up' my quilting muscles. ;o)

Having experimented on the test piece I felt ready to tackle the actual project. Going freehand with machine quilting is very liberating and also a bit intimidating at first. Telling myself to let go of my perfectionist tendencies and just let the stitches flow for this project was hard initially. Once I got over seeing the flaws or jerky looking bits, I really got into the quilting.


Sadly my quilting thread ran out before the completion of my project. That's the trouble with freehand quilting. I always use more thread than I think I will. This time it meant that I was caught short and since I'm not inclined to pick out the stitches I made in red and then re-quilt it all with white ('cause I have plenty of white thread onhand, doncha know ;o), I need to get more red thread to finish this up. Now the debate is - should I run down to the fabric store and pay more for the thread and have it right away... or wait and order thread for less online with a friend? Tough choice, isn't it?

8 comments:

  1. very cute! i would get more red thread myself. AND place a thread order with a friend lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute Katherine! I've tried that sort of quilting before and it is very hard - I'm impressed!!
    I would also do both - fabric store and order some as well. You never know what treasure you may find in the fabric store...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful hearts... a trip to the fabric store is well deserved! What kind of thread do you usually use for machine-quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Shop! The Shop! The Shop! Then again I was always the 'russian' type!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very seasonal...personally I would order the thread...but then I'm a cheapskate! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely!! Your quilting is gorgeous - hope you are able to finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, you could tell your friend to get her butt in gear, LOL. :) your quilting looks LOVELY! i always do a test piece before quilting, too, because I HATE stitch ripping.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...