How to sew a coin purse



Materials needed:
Cut two 6" x 6" squares of fabric* (print) for the outside of the coin purse
Cut two 6" x 6" squares of fabric* (solid) for the lining
4" zipper (you can use a longer zip and just cut it shorter for this project)
Cut two 1& 1/2" x 3" rectangles from a coordinating fabric* for covering the ends of the zipper
Cut one piece of 1" ribbon at 3" to make a tab to be sewn into the end of the coin purse
Cut one piece of ribbon at 10" to be tied onto the zipper pull (the width of the ribbon you can use will depend upon the diameter of the hole in your zipper pull. Mine was able to accommodate a 1" ribbon).
You will need the zipper foot for your machine. I also used my walking foot to assemble this - just a personal preference really. You don't actually need to have a walking foot to make this project.
*I used quilting cotton for this coin purse version. Click here to see my selvedge version.
1. Take the two small rectangles (that will be used for covering the zipper) and press the raw edges under 1/4" on each of the short ends.
2. Take the rectangles you prepped in step #1 and fold them in half over each end of the zipper. The fabric will be wider than the zipper tape, but that's good because it will make this step easier. Place the pressed edges close to, but not covering the zipper end stops. Straight stitch across the short edge (through both layers of the fabric and the zipper tape - being mindful of the zipper stops).
Here's what my zipper looked like with both ends now enclosed in fabric. Notice that the fabric is wider than the zipper tape? I cut the fabric a bit wider on purpose as it makes assembly less tricky.
I simply trim the fabric on these tabs to be flush with the edges of the zipper tape.
3. Take the zipper, one square of the outside fabric and lay them together with the fabric right side up and the zipper tape facing right side down. Align the zipper tape along one edge. Pin it in place.
4. Lay one of your lining fabric squares right side down on top of the zipper tape. Pin in place.
5. Using your zipper foot, you will stitch the lining, the zipper and the outside fabric together at the same time. Sew a 1/4" seam and remember to back stitch at the beginning and end of this seam. (It helps to move the zipper pull out of your way as you stitch this seam, so you may open or close the zipper as needed to do this. Just remember to leave your needle in the down position while you maneuver the zipper pull or you will end up with a crooked seam!)
6. Use your iron to press both layers of fabric away from the zipper teeth.
Here's how it will look from the outside....
here's the view from the inside.
7. Repeat steps #3-#6 to attach the zipper and make the opposite side of your coin purse.
Here's how it will look:
8. Using the zipper foot, top stitch a mere 1/8" from the edge of the fabric along the top edge of the fabric used for the outside of the coin purse.
Top stitch along the opposite edge.
9. Right sides together, using a 1/4" seam, stitch the lining together at the bottom of the coin purse (the bottom is the edge that parallels the seam where the zipper is located), leaving an opening in the middle. Stitch in approximately 1&1/2" in from each end - back stitching at start and finish. The middle of this edge is left unsewn so that we can turn the coin purse right side out when we're done. Press the seam allowance open. 10. Right sides together, stitch a 1/4" seam across the bottom of the outside fabric. Press the seam allowance open, as shown below.
11. Take your coin purse by the edge which has your zipper's end stop. Keeping right sides of the fabric to the inside, take the bottom seam of the outside of the bag and line it up with the zipper tape - centering them. Pin in place.
Flip the coin purse over and do the same with the lining. Line up the bottom seam so that it lays on top of the zipper tape. Pin in place. Now you have the outside fabric right sides together and the lining right sides together and their bottom seams stacked on top of each other. The open edge will become one side seam in your coin purse.
Here's how it looks to have the bottom seam aligned on top of the zipper ( the far end in this shot is the end that is pinned and ready to be stitched).
12. Using a 1/4" seam stitch across the open edge that you have pinned all the layers together. Back stitch at start and end. Here's what the seam looks like from the lining side.
13. Take the short length of your ribbon. Fold it in half and baste the short ends together.
Take the unstitched side seam of the coin purse and measure down 1/2" from the top edge of the outside fabric. Pin and then baste the ribbon loop in place - being careful to ONLY attach the ribbon to the outside fabric NOT through the lining.
14. Before stitching this last seam, make sure the zipper is OPEN - you will not be able to turn the coin purse right side out otherwise. Place right sides together (lining with lining and outside fabric with outside fabric), stitch your remaining side seam with a 1/4" seam. Stitch the outside fabric together first, starting at the bottom edge and heading towards the zipper - make sure you push the fabric that encloses the zipper tape towards the lining - do not stitch through this. Back stitch at the start of this seam and again when you reach the edge where the zipper is attached. When you stitch the second half of this side seam (the side the lining comprises), you may find that there's too much bulk at the top of the seam. It's alright if you don't sew the seam completely to the top - as long as you back stitch to secure where you stop. In my example, I did sew all the way to the top, but I think I actually prefer not to. It makes the sewing easier and by not stitching through the tab that encloses the end of your zipper, the corner turns out nicer when you turn everything right side out.



15. Turn your coin purse right side out, using the opening you left in the bottom seam of the lining.
16. Take the 10" length of ribbon and thread both cut ends through the zipper pull, easing the ribbon along until you have made a loop close to the zipper pull.
17. Thread the cut ends of the ribbon through the loop and pull until you have tightened the loop onto the zipper pull.
18. Hand stitch the opening left in the lining.


Finished!
The coin purse is actually large enough to hold bank cards etc. - not just coins.
***Many thanks to all for the help I received regarding moving photos on Blogger. I couldn't cut and paste or move photos where I wanted until I switched to Html. Your help was much appreciated. It has saved me from ripping out my hair in frustration and saying nasty words to the computer. ;o)

Comments

  1. Thanks so much Katherine! I’ll wrap my head around this tutorial and make a purse soon... well... a.s.a.p.!

    BTW, this purse looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet purse... :o)

    Glad you worked out the HTML :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tut. i will have to try these after vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really great! Easy to understand too. I have my project list pretty full right now but I am still looking for one more Christmas item for a niece and this might be it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a cool shape for a coin purse! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-pyramid-zippered-coin-purse/2010/08/10/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just made a selvedge bag for Rachel, I might have to make her a matching purse. Thanks for sharing your creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I know what to give everyone for Christmas. Seriously, I am going to try it today. Thanks for the tutorial. And where did you get the zipper pull? I did see some on Etsy but only a few and not very attractive.
    Very charming. I really like the tri-fold look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tutorial - just what I've been looking for!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cute! I love that shape and I would LOVE to link to this if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool tute. I have made purses like these before without linings as I could not for the life of me figure out how to line it. Thanks so much for showing the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's a fabulous tutorial. I am waiting for my new sewing machine, but I can see a lot of these on my horizon: they will be excellent practice for zips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracias!! KATHERINE, idea muy util

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Katherine for this coin purse tutorial! I really appreciate this and hope to make some for my granddaughters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Katherine for this tutorial i am only eleven, but i am a really good sewer. I am getting my grandmother's old sewing machine today, and am hoping to make one of these for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made similar ones a couple of years ago. I put in chapstick, a little comb, breath mints, a few bandaids, finger nail clippers and file, some packs of wipes (the single ones), and little things like that. I gave them as christmas presents for your desk or your car. They were well received.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this tutorial!
    I made two pursese - one for my son and another for virtual friend.

    Mila Kalinina, Saint-Petersburg, Russia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just came across your tutorial from BusyBeeFree's blog and boy am I glad I stopped in! These are super and your tutorial is fantastic! Thank you so much!!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this tutorial. I came across this collection of bags and purses you might also like. Hope you enjoy!

    12 Patterns to Sew Purses

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful tutorial! I added it to my Share A Tutorial or Giveaway on my blog. Drop by and leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tutorial. I wrote a blog about me making the coine purse(and added a link to your tutorial of course)
    http://emysblogposts.blogspot.com/2011/02/pyramid-coin-purse.html
    feel free to have a look and leave a comment!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just made your cute coin purse. I am so addicted, I have made three already. I posted it to my blog with a link to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is REALLY cute! The tutorial is great with clear instructions and pictures. I need to make something like this once I get my fabrics. Thank you for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohhh I love these pyramid coin purses..I made one last night..it has some flaws, but today I tried again and I managed to make one..it's great in purple and yellow :D Thank you for the tutorial ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the tutorial. I made some of these purses and put a picture on my blog: creatiefbezig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice post thank you Rick

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!