Thursday, January 26, 2012

Heart Felt

I came across a really cute and clever knitting pattern in the book, Gifted: lovely little things to knit + crochet by Mags Kandis.  Knitting is a craft that I'm slowly getting more proficient in.  One day, I even hope to knit a sweater, but quicker knitting projects are helping me build my skills and confidence for that "someday" dream.  Anyways, I thought I'd share this felted heart project, to give you time to make your own, if you choose, in time for Valentine's Day.
Once I got the hang of knitting this pattern with its short rows, I wanted to knit a heart in every colour of yarn in my stash!
  Each colour seemed to felt at a different rate, so it was a good thing I kept an eye on the process!  They vary slightly in finished size and shape, but at least you recognize them to be hearts.
Next time, I will put less fibre fill into them because I did find that during felting, the stuffing wanted to escape and then retarded the felting.  Not a big deal, but something I will adjust, so that the finished hearts will felt more consistently and look more like those in the book.

The more I look at these, the stronger the temptation is to knit some more!  Can't you picture these making a colourful garland?  Of course they could be a lovely heart felt gift for Valentine's Day....

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I think your felted hearts are really cute and would love to make some, too!
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I love these, they look fantastic all felted up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those, Katherine! Now I'm wondering what it means and how hard it is to knit in "short rows" because I have lots of little bits of wool to use up too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're adorable - unstuffed, they look like they might be just the right size to embellish a zipper bag! Oh --- maybe 3 together would make a cute embellishment for a throw pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are too cute for anything! I LOVE them! What a great way to use up little bits of wool. I'd take these over candy hearts anyday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. a pretty garland fr valentine's day! How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I love your hearts felt! I once knit a bag and felted and the outcome was very fun!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...