Thursday, December 5, 2013

Super cute! Zakka Pouches

Looking for a quick and cute project?  A great gift idea?
 Then you'll want to try Amy's design for Zakka Pouches from her book, Zakka Handmades.
 
I couldn't resist a design that combines linen and crochet

 
along with a self-covered button.

 
I love the clever design of using a crochet motif for the flap on the pouch.  Not too surprising then, that I had to sew another.

 
This time using some favourite quilting cottons inside and out.

 
My third version is made from a cotton/linen blend for the exterior,


 a cotton print for the interior and a fussy cut flower for the button.
 

 
I now have a sweet trio of pouches ready for gift giving!
 
 
A few little details about my methods...
For each of my versions, I used fusible fleece rather than quilt batting.  The fleece added just the right amount of loft and a smooth finish,  although it does take longer to get it to fuse to the linen than quilting cotton (just be persistent with pressing!). Plus, I found I got better results in positioning the crochet motif by first basting it into place before sewing the lining to the exterior.  Oh, and the yarn I used is 100% cotton - the kind used for making crochet dishcloths.
 
 
Thanks Amy, for another adorable project in your lovely book!
 
I'm linking up with Amanda Jean's
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. So lovely and vintage-y with the crochet. Beautifully done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine! These are super cute! I love the mix with fabric and crochet and your buttons are perfect detail! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are sweet - the soft crochet mixed with the pretty fabrics is a wonderful combination - vintage and modern at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Katherine, they are lovely! The linen and crochet cotton works so well together. I'm sure I've got a pattern for something similar in one of my many books, I'll have to have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun little pouches - LOVE the combination of sewing and crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just so sweet! That linen cotton blend fabric is just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I great idea and they came out beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet and lovely little pouches. The crochet doily makes a wonderful flap. Creative Joy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how pretty!
    You shure know how to make pretty gifts!
    Kram//Maja

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Katherine, awwww! Your crochet doily and linen pouches turned out gorgeous! Love your fabric selections and the pretty buttons!!

    I added your projects to my pinterest board: Zakka Handmades: my book. Thanks again for sharing your loveliness!

    http://www.pinterest.com/amorinaka/zakka-handmades-my-book/

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...