Modern Plus Sign Quilts Book Hop - Day 7; Cute as a Button

Welcome!

 I was delighted to be asked to make a project from quilt designers,

 Cheryl  Brickey at Meadow Mist Designs and Paige Alexander at Quilted Blooms lovely, inspiring book, called Modern Plus Sign Quilts.

Photo credit: C&T Publications


Choosing which pattern to use for my project was the hardest part!  Ultimately, their pattern, Cute as a Button was my first choice.


Photo credit: C&T Publications
 I have a collection of buttons - modern and vintage, so this pattern really spoke to me.


Photo credit: C&T Publications

Now, for my own version of this adorable pattern, I decided to scale things down. My blocks are one third of the size of the original version in Modern Plus Sign Quilts.

The thread used for my appliques is Wonderfil's Accent, which is a 2 ply rayon in 12 wt.  It stitched like a dream and adds some weight and contrast to my tiny button appliques.

My fabric choice to go scrappy and to "sketch" stitch on my button appliques rather than using my usual choice of satin stitching, gives a less formal finish and the dark thread colour adds extra visual interest, in my opinion. Sometimes, it's good to mix things up a bit from how we usually do things, right? 😉


My mini quilt has a narrow border of bright pink print cotton on the sides and larger borders in a lightweight linen for the top and bottom.


A sweet fussy cut label adds another personal touch and an extra detail to my quilt.


Finishing things off, there's a fun polka dot binding and some wavy quilting! A fun make full of whimsy and celebrating one of my favourite notions.

Thank you, Cheryl and Paige for not only the pleasure of diving in to enjoy sewing one of your wonderful designs found in Modern Plus Sign Quilts, but also in being a part of introducing your beautiful book here in blogland during this hop!

Want to see more insider looks?  How about a chance at one of their daily giveaways during the hop?

Make sure you visit both authors' blogs!

Cheryl  Brickey at Meadow Mist Designs and Paige Alexander at Quilted Blooms

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please check out all the other wonderful stops on this 2 week hop!!!


MODERN PLUS SIGN BOOK HOP SCHEDULE


Monday, March 12th




Tuesday, March 13th



Kitty @ Night Quilter

Sophie @ Luna Lovequilts

Afton @ Quilting Mod



Wednesday, March 14th



Abigail @ Cut & Alter


Sandra @ mmm! quilts

Karen @ Run Sew Fun


Thursday, March 15th


Bernie @ Needle and Foot








Friday, March 16th


Izzy @ Dizzy Quilts


Christa @ Christa Quilts


Monday, March 19th

Jessica @ Quilty Habit





Tuesday, March 20th








Wednesday, March 21st

Anja @ Anja Quilts






Thursday, March 22nd







Friday, March 23rd


 

Comments

  1. The dark thread makes the buttons stand out, and love the borders top and bottom, a label and super binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just adorable! Your final photo looks like a magazine shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow too cute! Love the sketch stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine, I love the sketch stitching in place of traditional applique and with the contrasting thread, it stands out beautifully! Now, I want to try that! Thank you so contributing to the book hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! It came out wonderful - I really like the contrasting thread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely brilliant, Katherine! Takes the 'wow factor' to a whole new level! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I love all the little touches on this, like the handmade label and the wavy quilting. The pinks are fabulous and I think the binding is my favorite part. What a great finish and interpretation of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love your take on Cute As a Button!!! The outline stitching is just great!!! I'd like to ask what size yours ended up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I love this mini Katherine!! The tiny buttons and the black outlining thread are so awesome. I need to try this technique, thank you so much for being part of the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really changes up the pattern. You've made it uniquely your own and I like it. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your thread treatment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG.. so creative and fun and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! What an interesting, amazing and beautiful take on this design! I love how you quilted it! It is fun to do something a little outside the box once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything you did with this design. The smaller version and the sketch applique is so fun! The mix of colors with the linen is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just darling! Interesting this week again the similarities between projects: yours and Tish's were scaled down! Love the shot with the buttons and thread-such a cute mini!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Certainly does look cute as a button. You could just sit it on your table for some eye candy when needed. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the way you quilted the black outlining. It reminds me of cartoon artwork. Very fun! And the bright, vibrant fabrics make it doubly fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, your mini is so cute. I love the fabrics you used and I love the outline quilting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my this is amazing! I love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How interesting, I love the whimsical look fun indeed, and it would be perfect as a dolls quilt too. A great version.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the black outlining on this - makes everything pop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a darling version of the quilt. I love that you have added the black sketching to the top and I love the little label at the top. The binding is also sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how your verstion turned out and really really love the quilting on the buttons. It gives it just the perfect pop. I'm with Janice, it reminds me of a cartoon pop art piece.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a whimsical quilt! I love the sketch stitching! Such a cute button quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How wonderful is your quilt - I love the way you quilted & had fun with your buttons - and the colors - love that polka dot binding! Thank you, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun interpretation of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic! I just love the dark outlining of the pluses and "buttons" and the calm top and bottom borders. Nice photos, too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do really really love this mini. The outlines are great, I love the scrappiness of this. I feel I want to go and get all my pink scraps out too

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful little mini. I love the colors and how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this finish! I appreciate how you took the pattern and truly made it your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow I love this!!! It really is such a great version of the project - the dark outlining of the plusses really gives impact. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!