Birthday Cake Block

I sewed a strawberry frosted chocolate layer cake block to send to Queen Bee, Ayna for her month in the Pink Bee 2019!😍

The block chosen for the month of August in the Pink Bee, was the Farm Girl Layer Cake block - designed by Lori Holt from Bee in My Bonnet (click here for the free tutorial to make this block). August happens to be Ayna's and my birthday month, so how appropriate to be sewing cake blocks for both of us (her's was made and sent within August and mine came together a bit later...).





I had a fun time selecting yummy fabrics to sew this block for Ayna! That novelty strawberry print seemed like the perfect choice for her cake's frosting and if you look closely, you will see that I was able to pattern match the two pieces, almost making that center seam disappear.



The second version of this block, is the one to be added to my sampler quilt, so I went scrappy with the low volume background to fit in with all the other pink scrappy blocks I've been sewing, this year.


This block makes me smile because I couldn't resist fussy cutting this pink fabric so I could feature "patisserie" on my cake block!  There are times where I think I should have a sign in my home that reads "patisserie" for all the baking of sweets that I have done through the years.  Birthdays in our home are a special occasion celebrated with a homemade cake!

Comments