Summer Sewing Vintage Style



My love of vintage has come into full play.  I decided that for our four month stay on the mountain for the summer, I wanted to use my vintage Singer Featherweight for my sewing, rather than set up my (much larger and modern) Janome Horizon. I settled on setting up in a corner of the living room, with a lovely forested view.


The first sewing project I tackled was a quick to sew summer nightie, using a Style pattern from 1970 and a lovely, soft vintage cotton sheet - both found at a thrift store.

Makes me smile to think my Mom likely wore this very style night wear when she was in her early 20's For all I know, she may even had the same sheets on her bed that I used to sew this nightie!

Sewn on my 1968 Singer Featherweight (hello, French seams!) with seams pressed using a vintage GE travel iron (which is my favourite iron AND another fabulous thrift shop find!).  I continued the sewing with vintage theme, when I used a vintage Dritz notion  (the Ezy-Hem) to press an accurate hem. Such a handy sewing notion!

 How wonderful to realize that all these items were brand new around the same time, decades ago, and imagine how they were used then... and that they are happily being used for sewing once again. 



  Time to find more vintage sheets to sew with!

Comments

  1. What a lovely thing! Yes, I wouldn't doubt if my own mom didn't have sheets with roses on them. How lovely to find these vintage cotton sheets. That old cotton really is precious. So nice that you could re-purpose the sheet into such a sweet old-fashioned nightie - perfect for a summer night's slumber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew 60's! I picked up a sheet with peach colored roses last fall, and I may just use it the same way-it's lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine how cool the nightie must feel floating against your skin. It's beautiful and a great vintage project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your machine is beautiful.... How lovely to recycle and reuse..... Your nighty is very pretty.... The view looks lovely out the window....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!