Rainbow Scrappy Star Blocks Quilt Top!


The Scrappy Star Block (click here for Jennie's tutorial) is such a fun design for using whimsical low volume fabrics for the background and happy colours for the stars!  I received two blocks from nine rainbow quilt bee participants and I decided I wanted to make a quilt with 25 blocks, so I enjoyed sewing up the remaining blocks needed to finish.
Scrappy Star blocks are perfect for using fussy cuts!


I kept track of the star colours made by the ladies in the quilt bee, so that I could fill in any colours that were short.

These are the final four blocks I needed to make my quilt and I love that I was able to use so many playful prints from my stash in each of them.


My plans for the quilt layout stalled as I tried to figure out sashing and border fabric choices.  I had ideas of sewing mini stars into the sashing or  with cornerstones separating the single fabric choice for the sashing, but in the end, I went simple.

My vintage Singer Featherweight stitched the sashing strips onto the star blocks as my first project after our move.

Prior to our latest move, I pulled out strips from my low volume fabric scraps and did a mock layout on our bed.  I ran short of time to cut and sew the selected strips to the quilt blocks, but I pinned and labelled everything for me to finish after the move.


Here's a sneak peek at the finished quilt top!



While I wait for the order of batting to arrive, I will be figuring out backing and binding fabrics from my stash, and admiring how wonderful it is to see all these scrappy stars from friends near and far.
 

Comments

  1. oh wow you have been busy with this one too.........it's looking great......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, it’s beautiful! I can’t wait to see it completely finished! How’s your move going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will need to try this in low volume. Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!