Wonky Star Blocks

Looking for a fun block to try?

Love that Sarah Jane print that I fussy cut for the center of my star!


I had the pleasure of sewing my first wonky star block as a part of an online quilt bee, selected for the month of September.  (Click here for the tutorial to make this block).

I am sewing two blocks for each month (one to keep and one to send to that month's Queen in the quilt bee).  I decided to make the first block as my keeper, so I could get the hang of free hand cutting the star points, to make sure I could then make a decent block to send! 😜

Turns out, that was a good plan - not because I messed up on the star points, but rather I missed the mark selecting fabrics with good contrast to really show off the star!




The second star is much better with contrast and is definitely "wonky"!  The beauty of this block is the freedom to create a unique star each time and it is a great design for going scrappy - which is always a win in my opinion.   One tip I would give in the making of these blocks is to start out with a 5" square for the background for the star points, that way once you cut and sew your points, you can trim down the finished square, before adding it to you block.  That little bit of extra fabric to play with, gives a bit more wiggle room in working with the improv points. 

This block is number nine out of the twelve I need for my all pink and very scrappy sampler quilt!

Comments

  1. Wonky or not, they are stars! I do like your second one best, the calmer background makes the star really stand out. Live and learn.

    Are you sewing Christmas things already? I haven't been around here for a little while, so I'm not up on your latest ventures.

    Happy day...
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like wonky - it shows a human touch!
    Inspired by you, I ordered the messenger bag pattern from Oliver and Me, and taped, then traced the small bag this evening.I'll make the small one first to see how it will fit my grandson, and either use the same or the larger one for my older granddaughters.
    Did you use just quilting cotton for your bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Katherine. It has been ages since I visited your blog. I have been nutty busy with life. I hope yours is rolling along smoothly and all is well.
    Here, I am doing very good too, just always running around town (darn chores) and taking care of daddy (96) and my grand girls. I try not to hurt myself playing wild hahaha
    I adore your blocks. I need to make some little quilts, and cute blocks. You are always so inspiring 💙 you loads

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!