Rainbow Log Cabin Block


 I love classic quilt blocks and it doesn't get more classic than a log cabin block!  Vickie requested this modified version, in pretty pastels (with a red center!), for her turn as Queen in the Rainbow Bee for November.





The center of the block is a 3/5" square and then the strips are all 2.5" wide for this version, which makes a lovely, large block (15.5").


I have sewn log cabin blocks before, but not the modified versions. The first round of strips are all cut at the same length and there's one partial seam - not a big deal, but from there, I got a little muddled with my sequencing of sewing the next round of strips.

Oops! My first attempt at this modified log cabin block.  I messed up the sequence of adding the strips after the first round and ended up with this... and some time spent with my seam ripper! 

Thought I'd show what can happen when I sew late at night. I knew something was off, but couldn't quite figure out what it was... until the next morning.  😆  Seam ripper to the rescue, accompanied by a bit of laughter, I sorted out my mistake and used the strips in the following two versions of my blocks. 

Thinking that this fun block would make a great stash buster quilt!  Great design for using up 2.5" strips and making larger blocks, means fewer blocks needed for a quilt.  Winning combination in my opinion!  Add this to my "must sew" list.

Comments

  1. I cannot figure out what was wrong in your last block, it looked great to me! Love those pastels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely charming. I am just finishing up my first attempt at the log cabin design. I just finished the last of the quilting, last night in front of the TV before bedtime. Today I hope to make the binding and get it sewn on.
    I would love to have you visit and tell me want you think. I'll be posting it in around a week or less.
    I love your delightful blog, it is so inspiring :)
    Have a wonderful day and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!