Scrappy Pink Pouch


 Okay, it's no secret that I adore sewing scrappy.  Truly my favourite kind of patchwork.   It's always exciting when I see my scrap bins filling with leftover bits from my larger sewing/quilting projects because I know that these are the building blocks of some creative magic!



A simple zipper pouch comprised of a collection of 1.5" half square triangle units and squares.  Fun way to use up precious bits of fabric!
 Oh, happy day! Recently, I needed a small gift for a friend that loves the colour pink.  Fortunately for me, she also is a fan of scrappy patchwork. Now, with all those quilt bee blocks sewn in pink over the course of 2019, you can bet I ended up with a fair share of leftover bits and pieces of pretty fabrics.  Some were simply cut off triangles from making larger sized half square triangles in pinks and low volume fabrics. Perfect!  These triangles sit beside my machine and are sewn together as "leader - enders" and they become small size half square triangle units for use in my scrappy projects!

I decided that I would alternate squares with those small half square triangle units, in a repeating layout to form one side of a zipper pouch to gift my friend.

Flip side of the zipper pouch, sewn from random sized scraps.

Small scraps work particularly well for piecing together in a log cabin style.  I chose this method to sew the other side of the zipper pouch for my friend.  It is so simple to do! I start with the smallest scraps for the center and just keep adding on longer/wider pieces around the center, until I reach a desired finished size.  Easy to do and always results in a one of a kind piece of patchwork!

Once the patchwork pieces are sewn, I quilt them onto a scrap of batting and then cut them to size for the zipper pouch.  Basically, I let the length of the zipper dictate how large I would make the pouch. My pouch is fully lined and includes a fun little zakka tag in a side seam, a fussy cut fabric stamp on the front, along with a sparkly handmade zipper charm attaching to the pull.  Such a pleasure to be able to gift handmade and enjoy a bit of scrappy sewing.

Enjoying the sunshine and view from this special spot where I sew.

This view is another of life's pleasures. It seems like Spring is on its way, with sunny days becoming more frequent and the daylight hours  increasing.  I think it's easy to see how I could be  content to sit here and sew as much as possible! Grateful for this beautiful, peaceful setting I have for enjoying my creative pursuits in this rental home.


Comments

  1. You have the prettiest scraps, Katherine, and make good use of them! Hooray for all this lovely sunshine - it does give one hope, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful little pouch, especially with all the little added details! It should make the recipient feel extra special! You always have the best scenic views of anyone I know. It must almost feel as though you are on vacation all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am screaming with envy at your view.
    Is that a garage or shed below on the right?
    The sunshine is devine. It is sunny here too but a chilly breeze (coming from your house probably) and the kitties just enjoy the sunny windows (they ever never go out anyway)
    This pouch is absolutely beautiful. Your friend will love it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!