Teeny, Tiny Teddy Bears

Every now and then I have to try something new. A library book on making miniature teddy bears intrigued me and presented a challenge that I knew I wanted to attempt. Yes, the pattern pieces for the bears are itsy-bitsy and the whole thing must be hand sewn. That wasn't the most challenging part for me as it turned out.
This may come as a surprise, but it was finding the right fabric that was tough. Shown above, from left to right, are bear #2 and bear #3. Along with bear #1 (or Chewbacca wannabe as he is lovingly known as), these 3 bears were all made from the same pattern. The different fabrics gave drastically different results. Fun fur didn't work (bear #1), nor did felted plush (bear #2). The best looking bear was made using upholstery fabric (bear#3). This fabric looks just right (hmmm... doesn't that sound like another story involving 3 bears?) and even allows his seed bead eyes to be visible, unlike the same eyes on his bear brothers. Did you know that this size of bear isn't even the smallest size you can make? Yeah, unbelievably, I made one even smaller. I'm that crazy about sewing/crafting - I will likely try anything once.

Comments

  1. The key is the right fabric, indeed!
    It is my biggest difficulty when i start for a new project, i try one, two, three times!
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are too cute!! I haven't yet braved anything tiny like that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you don’t stop amazing me! Love the bears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are adorable and so incredibly tiny! Now all you need are some little bowls of porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love those teddy bears, even the one that is kind of scruffy looking. He's got character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those tiny bears are neat. I would never have the patience to work with those little pieces of fabric. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, my, those are teeny tiny! I am amazed. (and people thought I was crazy for liking to handstitch the binding on a quilt.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tiny bears are lovely! Do like sewing miniatures? Maybe you could sew tiny quilts for them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A suggestion on the little bears.... try drawing the pattern on the wrong side of the fabric and without cutting them out sew by machine..then cut. It makes those tiny pieces machine sewable...even tiny ears!
    barbintheozarks

    ReplyDelete
  10. My girls love to make teeny tinies like that. Their fabric of choice is polar fleece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen some really itsy bitsy bears on my travels. I have a tiny one in my small collection of miniature bears. I like yours, even though new, they do look well loved already. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! These are really cute teddies. Recently, while I was looking online for tutorials on how to make such cute toys, I came across Stuffed Animal Box http://www.stuffedanimalbox.com/babygundanimals.html. They have a wide range of lovely cute stuffed animal toys at quite affordable rates. You should definitely check out their website and take a look at their catalog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!