I'm happy with my decision to change the border fabric as it seems to compliment the triangles without blending in. For a bit of whimsy, I free motion quilted a leaf pattern onto the triangles and then stipple quilted the border fabric.Finding that the fabric I wanted for the backing wasn't large enough, I decided to use leftover patchwork from the front to make up the difference. I now love the backing as much as the front! The backing also shows off my quilting more noticeably. It is so liberating to free motion quilt.
Here's a close-up of one corner of the backing to show you the quilting and the binding fabric. The fabric for the binding had to be pieced for width because I didn't have enough to cut my usual 2 3/4" binding strips. I had to add a 1" strip in order to have the width I needed, but as you can see the other fabric is folded to the inside so you don't even notice my piecing trick. ;o)