Just as I had hoped, I was able to finish my version of Rachel's quilt pattern, Impromptu, this week. This quilt is a mix of sunny, bright colours that make me smile and will have me thinking of summer, year-round!
Right from the start, I knew this quilt was going to be fun - there's so much colour! Admittedly, this was my first time using a text print for the background and even though I had my moments of doubt, I'm glad I chose it. It adds more than a solid white background in terms of visual interest and in really making the other colours look even more lively (if that's possible ...;o)
In for a penny, in for a pound... I kept the colour amped up when I chose this "popping" blue for the binding. Definitely adds some extra sizzle. ;o)
Deciding how to quilt this took some serious contemplation and then once I figured out that the style should be "loose and flowing", I wondered if I could execute the idea using my domestic machine. I was trying to mimic a woven fabric look with my quilting as this quilt has me thinking of summer picnics (which also explains my choice of red polka dots for the backing - don't they say "picnics" to you? ;o). The vision I had in mind, was that my quilting would not compete with the design of the quilt by being too fussy or dense.
Each quilt I have made, I try to challenge myself to try different quilting designs. For this design, I began by free hand quilting a wavy line the whole length of the top - bisecting the quilt. Going in the same direction with each succeeding line, working towards the edge of the quilt. Once I had one half quilted with wavy lines, I worked to do the same to the other have in the same manner.
Previously, when quilting lines across a quilt, I would change directions with each line. That led to some bunching issues, which I wanted to avoid and that's why I didn't change directions this time. The added bonus of doing this method meant that the rolled up portion of the quilt that was on the machine bed was reduced with each successive line, making the quilt easier to manage as I went along.
|I'm calling my version, Summer Sunshine!|
I'm pretty pleased with the results - both in using a text print for a background fabric and in the quilting (I think I accomplished the loose and flowing look I was hoping for ;o).
It also makes me very happy to have found the perfect pattern to showcase those treasured charms that my lovely friend, Amanda Jean gifted me (thanks again, sweet friend! You know how much I love Oh-Cherry-Oh).
My quilt was on my FAL list for the third quarter, so I'm really happy to finally have something finished on that list.
It's also Friday, so I'm linking up my finish with Amanda Jean's Finish-it-up Fridays!
I've got family travelling here to spend the weekend with us, so I'm off to finish getting ready for our house guests. I'm looking forward to enjoying a weekend with extended family and want to wish you a lovely weekend as well.