Monday, September 2, 2013

More Swoon blocks

 After an initial burst of sewing Swoon blocks, I set this project aside to work on other things. However, in the past few days, I did manage to sew several more and re-learned a few things in making them.  Nothing like discovering that some of those fabric pairings I selected didn't come off looking as good as I thought they would.  Live and learn, right? ;o)
 
#1.  Really small prints don't read the same from a distance as they do when close-up (mental note: remember to stand back to view and then decide on fabric pairings before proceeding to make a  large scale block like this). 
 
 
#2.  Fabrics with large white areas can get a little "lost" when they don't have enough contrast with a mostly white background fabric.

 
#3.  Fabrics with huge prints don't read so well in this block design because they get "chopped" up.
 
 
#4.  Fabrics with a medium scale design work really well for this block design, especially ones with the right amount of colour contrast.

 
Okay, so I guess you know which is my favourite block out of the four I recently made. ;o)
 
Negatives aside, when I place 3 of my newest blocks with the initial three...


I think things aren't going as bad as I first thought. Funny, how a few "not so great on their own" blocks get a boost when placed with better ones.   That being said, you can bet I will try to carefully consider the fabrics I select for the next blocks. LOL

6 comments:

  1. Good lessons - it's hard to remember, sometimes, that quilts can be like a Monet: best when viewed at a distance. It all comes together in the end. I had serious reservations with my own Swoon, and with my Scrappy Trip, which looked like individual messes until it was all sewn together...

    Your blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of faced the same problem too in picking the right fabrics since the blocks are BIG! Haha. But your blocks look fantastic anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed perhaps on the lessons learnt but the variety really helps the quilt as a whole - I think you have the right blocks there for a super quilt - keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always learning from every quilt I make! I always have problems with values and am constantly having to change things up. It is going to be a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think ALL of your blocks look awesome! It would be boring if they all looked similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been considering making a swoon quilt soon, so your fabric selection tips were very helpful. Thank you! But you are right...putting them all together boosts them all. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...