Monday, November 11, 2013

A handmade reminder

Every year I buy a poppy to wear for Remembrance Day.  Every year, I lose that poppy - usually within the first day of pinning it to my coat.   How disappointing! It's not that losing something I had donated money for that bothered me, it's the fact that it seemed so disrespectful to be "poppy-less".   Buying multiples didn't help my problem either.  The solution?  Make one that will stay pinned to my jacket more securely!


All it takes is a scrap of yarn, a black button and a sew-in pin backing to make your own.
 
 Here's the free pattern I used to crochet mine.  It's quick and simple to make.

My money has been donated and my little poppy stayed pinned.   A lovely little handmade reminder to honor those who gave their lives for the freedom I enjoy.

Lest we forget!
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Such a special way to make a reminder of Remembrance Day.
    I always makes me remind this poem: http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders-fields.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katherine, i did not comment on your blog for ages..... So busy with harvest carfting for the Christmas market. But i did visit your blog everytime you made sommething new.... I love the poppy, i also do ceochet a lot these days. Baukje
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How perfect is that! For all those 'green' people out there, no need to contribute to the land-fill problem, several for different coats, and problem solved! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely red poppy. I have that problem too that my poppy always seems to fall off (though last year my then 2 year old daughter took it without me knowing).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love that! I lose mine too, and if I don't, it's been passed from jacket to jacket so much that it ends up looking a bit tatty. Your crocheted one is a great solution!
    And I love that you remembered our veterans with a donation :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an absolutely lovely tribute to our veterans. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link. I have a crochet one that I bought a few years ago, but my daughters would love one too...now I can make them each one...thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...