Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It's started

Remember those lovely quilt/sewing books I won last month?  I started bookmarking projects to sew from them as soon as I began flipping through each of them and now I have my first finish from Zakka Handmades by Amy Morinaka.
 
During the time I was sick with a cold, I grabbed this book and my crochet hook and made the edging for this scarf (and went on to make the cherries - which are also in this book - no project in mind for them... yet).  The crochet edging is very simple to do - perfect if you're looking for a beginner project to crochet.
 
 
Once I had the edging complete, I started searching for a fabric to pair it with.  I found this lovely brushed cotton check in my stash and knew it would make a cozy scarf if I sewed it with the brushed side facing out. Sometimes, the wrong side is the RIGHT side. ;o) 

 
 For the handmade tag, I remembered a small embroidered motif I had stitched ages ago, and decided to cut it from its background fabric so I could machine stitch it onto a linen square.  I love the results!  It has the simple,  one-of-a-kind, handmade look I was hoping to achieve.


 
  All in all, a very straight forward and satisfying project to make.  Seems my timing couldn't be better on this finish as our temperatures have taken a plunge since the blizzard blew through here yesterday.  A cozy scarf is a necessity in braving this weather and as much as I love knitted scarves, I'm loving this Zakka version.
 
Now, I wonder what I will do with the crochet cherries? ;o)


7 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine! Nice to *meet* you! Your crochet edged scarf turned out fabulously! I esp love your hand embroidered label stitched to the scarf ;) I just added your beautiful scarf to my Pinterest board... Hope you have a chance to check it out!

    http://www.pinterest.com/amorinaka/zakka-handmades-my-book/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! The checked fabric is perfect with the cherries and the crochet edging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scarf - it looks very warm and cosy - perfect for Canadian winters, brrrr! Love the cherries - they'd be great on a tea towel! Just kidding - they'd be great on a ZIPPER BAG! LOLOL!!! You should upload photos to Amy's flickr group - I see she's already been by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that little handmade tag...
    What a cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the cherries! I agree with Susan, use them on a zipper pouch! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could hang the cherries in your Christmas tree. Love the scarf.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LoVE the scarf, so pretty. Did you hem the edges?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...