The final five

Way back at the beginning of last year, I set the goal of sewing myself a king-size quilt using mini granny square blocks (partly, so I could use up my tiny treasured scraps by cutting them into 1.5" squares). This project has been listed every quarter of FAL 2013 with Leanne.    Sadly this goal for my year that hasn't been met.
 
 Ever since Jolene first shared this block, I've been smitten with it.
 
Over the course of the year, I would sew a handful of blocks in between other projects, which worked well as far as keeping the bin of 1.5" squares constantly supplied with variety for block making, but meant this quilt would not be a quick finish.
Just to give you an idea... I finished sewing about half of my needed blocks for this quilt by December.  Ahem.  Time to get serious if I truly meant to get this idea sewn together before another year passes! During the holidays, my portable design wall has set up next to my machine, with pieces ready to be made into granny blocks whenever I found a moment to sew. I have to say that idea worked.

A piece of posterboard covered in white flannel is held vertical by using my table topper wire stand.  An easy and convenient way for me to keep track of things as I piece blocks.
 
Here are the final five blocks in this seemingly endless production of mini grannies.

Endlessly charming in bright colours, I'm almost (but not quite) sad to be finished sewing them for this quilt. ;o)

There's more work ahead of course as they need to be laid out, more background fabric will be added (I need to buy more... AGAIN... goodness, I forgot just how much fabric a king size quilt requires) and of course then the fun of basting awaits.  However, the really amazing thing is that despite sewing more than 150 of these little beauties, I'm as in love with them as ever.   I'm sure that means I'll make more grannies at some point - although I don't think it will be for another king size quilt! 

Comments

  1. I am really looking forward to seeing the next stage of this. I admire your tenacity in making such cute blocks out of tiny pieces! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all so beautiful Katherine! As always I love your Fabrics and colours! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those granny squareblock and I just have to do the pattern as you have.
    Kram//Maja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Granny squares are so bright and cheerful, they'll look great on your bed. I wonder if you'll quilt this one yourself. If you do, I want to know what machine you have!
    I'm still working on my Joy pillow....I can't quite decide how I want to quilt it. My quilting group is coming to my place tomorrow so I'll ask for some ideas from them. They're pretty smart quilters :)
    It's basted and ready to go so maybe it'll be finished by tomorrow night. Stay tuned for photos...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finishing up your blocks! Love the colours. The finished quilt will be gorgeous, can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blocks look amazing, and such a mix of prints and colours, I am sure you are going to love it when it is all finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo! It's going to be stunning Katherine :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a LOT of work, but it's going to make an awesome quilt! Your stitching accuracy makes me jealous - if I stitched together 25 squares that size, I can assure you every block would be a different size, and none of them would be square, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see these all together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to make a granny square quilt for about 18 months now. But alas it keeps getting bumped down the list as other priorities come up. Yours is going to look so cool in a king size. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!