Monday, February 17, 2014

Needed... a manly gift

Recently, I stitched up a gift for a special someone's birthday and even though it hasn't reached him just yet, I thought I'd share it here without spoiling his surprise (as I highly doubt he visits my blog ;o).  I love giving something hand made as a gift, but at the same time, I aim for a gift that will be useful to the recipient. However, this time around, I was stumped for awhile trying to sort out what a newly minted teenager might like.



Then it occurred to me that a simple toiletries bag might be appreciated or at least needed.  Guys may not have the same self-care accoutrements (or as many) as girls, but keeping them organized is just as important.  I love this zippered pouch design, but felt I should keep it as clean looking as possible (meaning no patchwork, quilting, too bright fabrics or fancy piping or trims).  Nothing that would embarrass him. ;o)

Re-purposed clothing labels and a coloured bead slipped onto cording on the zipper pull, add a bit of flair on a very simplistic zippered pouch design.


So, I began a search through my stash for some masculine fabrics. Imagine my surprise to realize I have a very small amount of fabric choices in that category. ;o)  Hopefully these geometric prints strike the right note.

Who knows just what this new teen will decide to store in his toiletries pouch...

Not knowing his personal tastes, I decided to skip tucking any toiletries into the pouch and instead found a handy multi-tool and a mini flashlight to include.  My experience has shown that guys love tools and handy gadgets, so hopefully, even if the pouch isn't a hit, this young man will find a use for these items. ;o) 

 It's funny, because as simple as this design is, I found it more challenging to keep from adding to it (apparently I like to embellish - so stopping at adding those two labels has me applauding my restraint ;o).  Lucky for me, I have 3 males in the household to consult with.  They gave this gift a two thumbs up rating, so with fingers crossed, I hope the young man receiving it will like it as well.

10 comments:

  1. It looks masculine and classy to me. Love the fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely gets a thumbs up from me, too - definitely suitable for guys, but for girls as well. That's a great print, and I really like the repurposed tags too - time for me to start a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine! This is great present for guys and very good pattern for anyone! I love your heart header and I see my cute pouch on your slideshow! Have a lovely week! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting a thumbs up from here too Katherine! You chose a great fabric and the patches give it that extra bit of interest. I hope the response is positive from Mr Teen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine, I think you made excellent choices all the way around! Great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very cool bag in really nice fabrics...lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute. My no-longer-a-teen would love something like this. He'd probably fill it with thumb-drives and earbuds, but he would like it. Great gift idea for people I've already given a quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's a fab toiletry bag, perfect for a boy/man

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great looking shaving kit!!
    Guys need a good one (they don't always realize it themselves). When my 29 year old son was visiting his shaving stuff and hair product was all over the counter. So I made him a bag (the open wide bag from the Noodlehead tutorial) and it was a pretty big hit. We had to go shopping for masculine fabric though :)
    Now my husband and father both want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. I especially like the way you used the labels to embellish it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...