I don't think I've seen a granny square quilt that I didn't love. That being said, my favourite is a scrappy version.
My own granny square quilt began 2 years ago... here... and I finished sewing the last blocks for it in January, but the crazy idea to use mini granny square blocks to make a king-size quilt came from how much I love these pillows.
Just like the pillows I made with granny square blocks, I used 1.5" squares from my scrap bins to make blocks that finished at 5.5" (and no fabric appears twice in a single block). The background and the binding is Kona white. It took 156 blocks to make my quilt and after framing each block, I staggered them to create a layout that keeps your eye moving.
If you're a regular reader of my blog, you already know that besides scrappy projects, I love vintage Singer sewing machines. From start to finish, this quilt was made using two of my vintage Singer sewing machines - which I think is so cool. My Singer 15-91 was used for piecing and my Singer 201 was used for quilting (only the second time I've tried quilting on her - the first quilt was a baby quilt, so jumping to a king size was the real test - she passed with flying colours!).
|A peek at the backing and binding. I was delighted with the colours in this print from the Summersault line, but decided the binding needed to be something neutral.|
Now I have a little more scrappy colour on our bed.
Woo-hoo! This king-size finish is something I can cross off this list.