Wednesday, August 27, 2014

WIP Wednesday - Swirling Star Blocks

I'm squeezing in time to work on the baby quilt I started earlier this month, but I needed to make a few new half square triangles.  I needed a total of eight HSTs for each star block, so I made eight at a time using a square of background fabric and the same sized square of contrast fabric.  This method is so quick and easy!  You save time sewing only two seam lines (diagonally - to make an "X" - across those 2 squares which are placed right sides together) and then you can cut 8 finished HSTs from it.  Simple, right? All that's needed after that, is a bit of trimming and you end up with 8 sets of matching HSTs!
 
Trimming my newest HSTs to the finished size - each set of 8 started as 2 squares of fabric!

 
 
 I'm adding 4 pairs of HST to surround them, to make them look as if they're spinning.


Here's where my portable design board is invaluable - I can lay out two blocks at a time and take them to the sewing machine for accurate piecing.


Ta-da!  One block done... eight to go. ;o)

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... deleted my previous comment because it had a typo, lol :D

    Ta da -- pretty! They ARE going to swirl when the piecing is done - perpetual motion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those blocks are cool and they do look like they are spinning! It will be fun to see them all sewed together in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fabulous-very swirly indeed! This is going to be a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun block. I can't wait to see several together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking this colour combination... it kind of reminds me of the fuchsia/gold colour way of Mendocino. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katherine! Looks beautiful! In your First photo, the pink Fabrics on the left side is one of my dear favourites - I have still small piece of it. Great block! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this nice information about this topic on your blog, it is very informatics info thank for this blog
    Big Height

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab blocks Katherine, the bits round the edge really do add movement to the star

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...