An inspired idea...

I was taken with Angela Pingel's book, Quilter's Mixology and her clever ways of modernizing the drunken path block. She shares so many lovely and inspiring designs in her book, however, the one design that especially caught my eye, was her ornament block. 
 
 Inspired by her gorgeous ornament quilt, I couldn't resist making up my own design using ornament blocks with a extra seasonal take... in the form of appliqueing on some text. My individual drunken path blocks finish at 2 1/2" square, so that was some tiny curved piecing, but I managed it without pins.  Looks like all that time spent sewing Barbie doll clothes has finally paid off! ;o)
 
#QuiltersMixologySAL



I gave you a sneak peek of this project over the weekend, and since it is only a mini quilt, I had high hopes of having a finish to share as well as to enter into the
Quilter's Mixology Sew Along over at Sew Sweetness.  Sadly, despite my most valiant efforts, a finish eluded me.  Ever have one of those days when it seems that events are conspiring against you? I've had techie problems, sewing machine problems, tools breaking, machine oil leaking over my fabric while sewing, adhesives that won't stick and ... well, let's just stop there.  I think you get the picture. ;o)

It took two people (thank you, my sweet hubby, for all your help and patience on this) and 3 machines to get this project this far.  Seriously, it seemed like one hiccup after another in trying to finish this before the deadline tonight. If it weren't so laughable, I'd just sit and cry at this point.  Ah, well.  Some days, we take it on the chin, right? ;o)  Tomorrow is a new day of sewing adventures and a few set backs won't stop me.  I'd still call this a success -  I love how it's looking and even if I'm disqualified (fingers crossed that I won't be...) from entering because it's only a flimsy, I will at least have a pretty wall hanging once this is complete.  Stay tuned for the finish.

Comments

  1. Just gorgeous Katherine! I'm curious as to how you constructed the wording? or have you just superimposed this over your photograph! Whatever you've done its lovely! Such tiny pieces! I'm sorry you couldn't get it finished in time too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this mini quilt! I'm trying to imagine sewing 2.5" curved blocks... with machine trouble no less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine! This looks fantastic! Surely helps to sew barbi cloths. Sorry to hear about your difficulties - sometimes it just doesn't go well. I hope that passed and you can continue without problems. I'm waiting to get my sewing machine from the clening/service. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. The end result is gorgeous!! Festive, colorful, and fun. Hope your work can continue problem-free from this point on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous flimsy - my fingers are just aching at the thought of those tiny curved seams - yikes!

    Gate those days when nothing goes right - no matter how hard you try (or no matter how hard you try to RELAX!) things go awry with astonishing frequency. Those are days when we need to hop onto the couch with a nice warm blanket (or warm hubby!) and a great movie :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor thing! Those types of problems will make you nuts! But this is a gorgeous flimsy! I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how pretty...it would be an ideal centre for a quilt..

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really lovely - enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear sounds like it fought you all the way.. But in the end you won! It's lovely. Congrats on a great finish. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's so lovely, great design. I've got the book on my wishlist, I want to have a go at drunkards paths as I love the versatility of the block, but I'm also scared I won't be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry you had all of those machine difficulties, the quilt top looks great though, that is some tiny curved piecing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!