An evening of stitching

There has been a little stitching happening in between helping my husband with some custom cabinetry installation work.  This time, I'm using some of Robert Kaufman's quilter's linen (in white) to do some ribbon embroidery.  I love the way the ribbon colours play off the white background.  These are destined to become sachets. Stitching is such a relaxing way to unwind after a long day.
 
I mark dots, with an archival micron pen, to transfer the design onto the linen for embroidering.
 
Just in case you're curious about what I need to unwind from, here's a peek at the most recent kitchen my hubby designed, built and installed.  I know I've shared a bit before on my blog about working with my husband, but I thought since it's been awhile, I'd share again.

What do I do to help?  Well, besides helping with loading and unloading tools, components and actual cabinetry, I help with finishing details, like putting hinges on the cabinet doors, installing shelves, drilling out for handles and adding hardware for the drawers.  I also help with any task that he needs an extra set of hands for (like holding lengths of toe kick or crown moulding when he's cutting them on one of the saws).  Generally, I assist where needed (even making sure the tools are at his fingertips when needed - I keep things organized and at the ready to save him time).  It's pretty cool to be learning how to use the power tools and to see his expertise in action (after years of him solely working on his own while I was a SAHM).  There's still some finishing details to take care of (like installing some glass panes in the mullion doors), but, thankfully, this job is getting closer to a finish.  Yay!


Maybe you're looking for a project to work on in the evenings?
May I recommend that you check out the gorgeous seasonal paper piecing patterns that Julianna is sharing, for free, for the Last Minute Christmas Sampler QAL
 I'm preparing to join the fun (just trying to decide on fabrics ;o).

Comments

  1. I think it's great that you can work with your husband now that your kids are a bit older. The ornaments are very pretty. Ribbonwork is something I've admired but have never tried. I'm off to check the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried once ribbon embroidery and your photos made me thinking of getting back to it! Wonderful snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ribbon embroidery is just delightful Katherine! You have real talent for it! I have printed of one of the Last Minute Sampler Patterns but that might be next year for me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you're able to help hubby - I don't know that I would want to have that much more time with mine though, LOL! The snowflakes are sweet - feminine and colourful :) I checked out the paper piecing link - those are some cute blocks - especially the reindeer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, what a lovely kitchen - a dream of mine! Kudos to you getting out there and helping hubby, I'm sure he appreciates it. Those snowflakes are gorgeous - another craft I need to try out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your embroideries and admire your team work with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kitchen is beautiful and so stitching is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to help my step dad with kitchen installs (there was a time when I had time!) and used to love the physical aspect of the work as aposed to the mental nature of my day job. Sometimes it's nice not having to think, just doing.

    I remember your ribbon embroidery from last year and these are just as beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to catch the creativity and artistry of you both.

    Wishing you and Mr. D. a wonderful weekend. It stopped snowing here and the sun shines as it gets ready to set.

    What lovely snowflakes in ribbons. Beautiful!

    Huggers,
    Brenda
    xox


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!