Knowing that a baby quilt is certain to be laundered frequently, I chose to free motion quilt it in a meandering design using a soft orange 50wt thread from Aurifil in both the bobbin and needle.
I love this combination of a flannel backing in a bright fuchsia pink with a soft pink stripe in quilting cotton for the binding. Wild and sweet!
The next detail that makes me happy about this finish is the binding. I have experimented with machine binding before and have had mixed results. It's been my personal preference to make my bindings using 2.75" binding strips, but with the previous method I used for machine binding, I couldn't. This time around, I decided to do a machine binding using the same method I use for binding by hand. The only change being the last step - sewing the binding down on the quilt back - instead of doing it by hand, I stitched it by machine. That means that on the quilt front my binding stitches are showing up parallel to the binding (I'm working towards having them "in the ditch" for even less visibility). It even worked well for the corners, as you can see from my photos. Overall, I'm happy to say, that not only did it work out well, it wasn't a struggle to accomplish.
A very happy finish for my week!
|Swirling Stars Baby Quilt finishes at 36" x 48"|
I'm linking up with Amanda Jean and friends over at Crazy Mom Quilts for