Swirling Stars Baby Quilt

 
 I was able to complete a long standing project this week, a sweet little quilt made from scraps.


 
 
 These little star blocks and the "swirling" borders took multiple half square triangle (HST) units which were easy to make using this method.


Knowing that a baby quilt is certain to be laundered frequently, I chose to free motion quilt it in a meandering design using a soft orange 50wt thread from Aurifil in both the bobbin and needle.
 

I love this combination of a flannel backing in a bright fuchsia pink with a soft pink stripe in quilting cotton for the binding. Wild and sweet!


The next detail that makes me happy about this finish is the binding. I have experimented with machine binding before and have had mixed results.  It's been my personal preference to make my bindings using 2.75" binding strips, but with the previous method I used for machine binding, I couldn't.  This time around, I decided to do a machine binding using the same method I use for binding by hand. The only change being the last step - sewing the binding down on the quilt back - instead of doing it by hand, I stitched it by machine.  That means that on the quilt front my binding stitches are showing up parallel to the binding (I'm working towards having them "in the ditch" for even less visibility).  It even worked well for the corners, as you can see from my photos.  Overall, I'm happy to say, that not only did it work out well, it wasn't a struggle to accomplish.

 
A very happy finish for my week!

Swirling Stars Baby Quilt finishes at 36" x 48"

 I'm linking up with Amanda Jean and friends over at Crazy Mom Quilts for

Comments

  1. Pretty! Love this pattern. I machine bind all my quilts these days. I attach it to the back side first and then top stitch down to the front instead of the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty baby quilt! I have yet to master machine binding. I've tried it on some smaller projects and I just can't get it to look right. I end up unpicking and sewing it by hand. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt!!! I love so much star and plus patterns. Your baby quilt looks so happy and bright! Great result :) Jola

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfectly sweet baby quilt you have made! Pink is such a happy colour, with some orange and red thrown in. I haven't tried machine binding yet, but I feel I need to give it a try! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the finish. I really like the sweet stripe for the binding. It makes the stars really shine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its gorgeous! I am loving this sweet little masterpiece. The colors are yummy. The quilting looks lux. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet baby quilt! Love the fabrics and the colours! You did very well on the binding, that's something I have not done yet... Have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is marvellous! What a super quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katherine! This is really beautiful! You can guess that I love the colours, but also the stars and sparkles between them! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely quilt! I love stars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out really beautiful...love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a happy quilt! Love the pinks and oranges. The machine binding looks great! I've not tried it from the back... I'm too worried that it will look crazysauce on the front. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet, gorgeous, beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwwwwwwwwwwww it's so pretty - perfect for a little girl :) It's a good thing you got the photograph outside when you did - if you'd waited a few days you'd be photographing it in the hail, lol! (Sorry - couldn't resist!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!