Handmade Gift Tag Labelling

Hoping my handmade gift tags are inspiring you to try making some of your own. 
 
Fourth in my series of "trim the tree" gift tags, this one has printed ribbon and a piece of twill tape (that I stamped) as the only embellishments.

 
 
What do I do about labelling the "to & from" portion of my fabric gift tags? I have added plain twill tape to the reverse of some of my tags, which I stitch onto the backing fabric before assembling the front and back of the tag together.

Plain twill tape sewn to the tag backing fabric (before assembling it with the front), provides space for writing "to and from".

Another idea is to use plain cotton fabric, back with fusible web, and simply iron on a "label" for addressing the gift's recipient. This method works well for adding labels to my felted tags, as they are only one layer and stitching by machine may show (or interfere) with the tag's front side. If you do choose to fuse a label to the back of a tag, be certain to avoid the possibility of melting any non heat resistant embellishments (such as beads, sequins or even ribbon) on your tag.

Fusible web bonds a plain piece of cotton to the back of my handmade gift tag and using letter stamps designates the giver and receiver of the gift. 
Names may be stamped or hand printed onto the fabric labels.  Always test on a scrap of fabric first, as some pens or inks bleed when used on fabric.  I have had success using Prismacolor fine line marker size 005.  You could always write out your labels BEFORE adding them to the back of your tags, just to be on the safe side. ;o)

Embroidering the names onto the labels OR directly onto the tags is another option - either by hand or using embroidery alphabet stitches on your sewing machine (if you have that feature).

Labelling can be as simple or as detailed as you desire!  There's even the possibility of re-using your tags from year to year when you make them (which is another plus to making your  own tags). 



Comments

  1. Your tags are wonderful! I can definitely see the lucky recipient allowing you to (hopefully) reusing these pretty tags!

    Also a great way to use up scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More delightful tags to inspire! Beautiful Katherine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!