Catching my breath

Life has been a whirlwind of activity, with lots of changes happening. The biggest is the unplanned and unexpected move that came at the end of April. The news from our landlord came days ahead of a month long (working away from home) departure and it admittedly left me a little dazed.  I immediately had thoughts of cancelling the trip!  The timing meant I would have about six weeks to pack our household and find a new place for our family, without help from my husband - who continued to work away from home until about a week before our move.

I think I am finally starting to slow down a bit and catch my breath after so much change in such a short time-span!

Block 1 of 11 in the Community Sampler, is Kitty Corner.


Do you rememeber that last year, I participated in a online sew along, The Sewcial Bee Sampler, hosted by Art Gallery Fabric designers Sharon Holland and Maureen Cracknell?  Each week of the sew along a new block design was given for everyone to make and I happily shared each of my block versions on my blog and on Instagram.


Block 2 of 11 in the Community Sampler, is Dovecote

I had a wonderful time sewing blocks from my scraps and making new friends, so when I read that this dynamic duo would be hosting a second sew along, I knew I wanted to join in. The Community Sampler sew along started while I was away, and seeing all the beautiful blocks being sewn and shared had me eager to get back home to my sewing machine!

Block 3 of 11 in the Community Sampler, is Ribbon Star


Knowing that sewing along would help offset the stress of packing and finding a new rental home, I decided to keep things simple and make scrappy versions of the blocks, for this sew along, too.  I had hopes of catching up to the other participants in the sew along, but didn't quite make it before my sewing room had to be packed up and the craziness of moving took top priority.

Block 4 of 11 in the Community Sampler, is Cactus.


The good news is that I did get half of the total blocks sewn before the move (the final block in the sew along was just released this past Wednesday); so now that we're getting settled in at our new temporary rental, I hope to complete the remaining blocks.

Block 5 of 11 in the Community Sampler, is Fairground.

I do not have a sewing studio in the current rental home, so I will likely set up on the dining room table.  Good thing I decided to go scrappy, as I currently am unable to have my full stash with me (I kept a few things with me - such as my scraps -  while the rest is in storage for the foreseeable future - fingers crossed that within the next few months, we will find our dream home... which means that I will have space for a sewing studio). No sewing studio aside, wait until you see the view from our current rental, though. It makes this place extra special and a real treat for us to enjoy for the next few months!

Block 6 of 11 in the Community Sampler, is Squaredance.

I can't tell you how much fun making these blocks has been! I played around by making scrappy log cabin blocks for some of my versions and my favourite scrap play idea is in block 6.  The center section of this block design is a single fabric in the given version in the sew along. It was an opportunity for some fun scrap busting! The scrappy drunkards path blocks for the center, makes me all kinds of happy.🙌

How about it? Want to join in the fun and sew along? It's never too late to be a part of the Community Sampler sew along.  You can find everything you need to know (including tips!) by clicking here.

Comments

  1. As usual your blocks are gorgeous Katherine! And to think you are still able to participate amongst the turmoil of moving! This is going to be a wonderful reminder of this time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... you moved again? You must be a packing and unpacking expert by now. I hope you will find your dreamhouse soon and will be able to put up a sewing spac! Love your cheerful quilt blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you have had a busy time of it.

    Your blocks are such bursts of colour. There is so much to look at and enjoy in each one, noting how you place each piece in relation to the other pieces. Quite lovely!

    I hope the rest of summer isn't quite as hectic for you. Wishing you a very happy Mother's Day!

    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Blocks With lovely colours. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful blocks, you have such a wonderful sense of color combining all of these prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blocks..............moving is a major ordeal............

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Katherine, I feel your pain. We rent in Victoria where the housing market is pretty dire and we went through similar b*llsh*t with our [former] landlord last year. We came out okay but it is so scary being in this position. Sending you a HUGE hug for the stress.

    Now on to sewing things: your blocks look awesome and I'm so glad to see you making more to round out your very very lovely blocks from last year. I've been a kitchen table sewer for years now and you quickly get the hang of set up-sew-put away. If you need some more fabric before you find your next place just let me know and I'll send you a care package.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!