Make it scrappy!

My first Scrappy Cross Roads Block - using this free tutorial  by Lori Holt at Bee in My Bonnet.

Given my love for scrappy quilt blocks, it's a wonder that it has taken me years to finally get around to sewing this long-time favourite, the Scrappy Cross Roads Block.  This wonderful block was selected as the block to sew for February's Queen Bee in the Rainbow Bee that I am participating in.



Fussy cuts and novelty prints - from some favourite designers make up this scrappy version.

Sewing in a quilt bee, brings not only friendship, but opportunity to try out new or different blocks. I particularly enjoy pulling fabrics from my stash and combining ones that will be a delight to the recipient. Natalie asked for colourful low volume fabrics (which is my favourite kind!) for the backgrounds in her blocks and our choice of any colour of the rainbow for the "X" portion of the block.

This block is perfectly suited to incorporating fussy cuts! I love that this block works for larger scale prints for some of the fussy cuts.

The blue block was my first version and for the second block, I couldn't resist making a pink block for Natalie (her favourite colour!).  In both my blocks, I chose fabrics from designers that I know she loves and did a bit of fussy cutting to show off special prints.


Each of my blocks is a bit of an "I Spy" game - I didn't want to overwhelm them with too many fussy cuts, but I did enjoy curating some special ones to include. I was especially pleased with the little girl hanging up her raincoat - it adds a touch of whimsy!

February's Rainbow Bee choice - Scrappy Cross Roads Block!

Easy to sew and a scrap buster, this block finishes at 16" - which means fewer blocks needed to have enough for a quilt top.  That is several reasons for me to love this block and ask myself why I haven't made these before! I think it's safe to say, I will be sewing a quilt using this wonderful, scrappy block.

Comments

  1. Oh Katherine, these are soo so cute. Adorable. four blocks would make a sweet doll quilt, or, yeah, just a wonderful block. I will try to make one

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!