Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It's in the details.

Details like buttons.  I have added fabric, mother of pearl, coconut and even a couple of buttons from Sculpey clay, onto a mini quilt I'm working on.
 The buttons combined with some decorative hand stitches,
 are helping me get closer to finishing.  The whole design has been an unfolding process, as I experiment  with various ideas (this really means I'm making this up as I go along - which is fun, but means a slower time frame on this WIP, while I let inspiration show me the way to finishing).   As excited as I am to complete this project, I'm finding that I'm enjoying developing the design as I work on it.  Yes, it's a slower way to go about things,  but it also feels like I have so many options to play with, since there's no pattern to follow.   So, I work away on this project as the ideas come to me and I feel the reward of my patience and the joy that comes with hand sewing.  It's all good. ;o)
Anyways, you can see from the open area at the bottom of this mini quilt, I'm not done yet, but thought I'd show you my progress.  Now, I can't help but wonder if you like to have a project that you take your time on, pondering over it and perhaps even savouring the time it takes to complete....Care to share?

3 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention coconut buttons - I'd never heard of them or even seen them until I spotted a package on ebay a few weeks ago - I was so enamored that I ordered a bunch from China - I'm waiting for them to arrive :D I have 2 friends in the States that dream of retiring to Hawaii eventually, so I've been trying to collect Hawaii-type items for a little gift package - I thought coconut buttons would work perfectly! I ordered extra for me :D

    I love all of your handwork and embellishments - I can't really think of anything different you could add, other than definitely using embroidery with some kind of 3D item ... maybe prairie points somehow, or something origami-ish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Katherine, I love your mini quilt. Hope one day I can make something like that too, me being a beginner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Absolutely love the details and design.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...