Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My method to the madness...

is placing a small design board to keep my block layouts clear and understandable for piecing, right in front of me while I sew.


This set-up allows me to keep the blocks scrappy and keeps me from mixing pieces up as I sew.  Crazy as this may look, it works for me! lol
Belle has been humming along in the evenings piecing Scrappy Bento Box Blocks in my effort to make a quilt from this charming block.

(Do you like my task lighting?... I need to replace Belle's lightbulb, but find that this Ott lite does the trick quite nicely. Oh, in case you're wondering about the wooden stick with the #20 on it placed under the stitch length lever... the numerals on the machine have worn away, so this stick allows me to find 20stitches/inch quickly and accurately - thanks to my clever husband for this idea)

 Just to prove that my mad method for block piecing actually works, check out my progress.



From another view, here's the line-up (not arranged in their final layout, just yet).  I think with a bit more piecing, I'll have a quilt top!
 I want this to be a quilt for our living room to coordinate with the scrappy red pillows I made a little while back.  That should make the room merry and bright (while putting a dent in the stash of reds I seem to have accumulated... ha! we know that won't happen.  Not unless I stop adding red fabrics to the stash.  Shhh... please don't tell the man of the house that it's a losing battle. lol).

5 comments:

  1. WOW, GREAT, I love those colors, so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I stuck some cotton batting on my wall to create a design wall--makes it so much easier to keep track of the squares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. My design board is way across the room and hard to really keep track of what I am doing. Being 79 I can't always remember what is what.
    Love red so of course I love your bento box quilt. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now... I am envy you! Our two bedrooms apartment is only 630sq.ft. It might be the size of someone's living room. I have no place to have a design wall. I have to move my furniture before I lay the quilt down. I love your red and white quilt! I am still the big fan of the colors. I envy you twice more.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW if I put up a design wall (mine is a sheet of styrofoam on the wall - TRES ugly!) in front of my sewing machine will my stitching be as accurate as yours???!?! I WISH, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...