Scrappy Letter K Tutorial

My experiments a few years back on sewing letters of the alphabet using scraps , has received continued interest, which means I am not alone in my love of scrappy sewing ideas!  A recent inquiry about whether there is a pattern for making them, led me to choosing to share a tutorial on how I made my letter K.  I hope you find it helpful!  Now let's use some scraps...


Finished block is 10.5" x 10.5" 
All seams are a scant 1/4"

Materials needed: 

Scraps! The more you use, the more dynamic your finished block.
(Perfectly fine if you repeat fabrics, however, my block is based on using all different fabrics for the ultimate scrappy look!)
  • Cut 1.5" x 1.5" squares from 40 background fabrics
  • Cut 1.5" x 1.5" squares from 40 main colour fabrics
  • 20 half square triangle units (HSTs) 1.5" x 1.5"  (instructions for making these are given below).

*Please bear in mind, that when selecting the colours for your block, you need contrast between the background and main fabrics, otherwise you will not see the letter clearly in your finished block.


This block uses a total of 20 HSTs

 You will need  to choose either:
  • 10 different background fabric 2" squares and 10 different main fabric 2" squares. Makes a total of 20 HSTs (NOTE:  This will give you 2 sets of HSTs made from each pairing and this means repeat pairings in your scrappy block).
OR
    • 20 different background fabric 2" squares and 20 different main fabric 2" squares. Makes a total of 40 HSTs  (NOTE:  This will give you 20 completely unique HSTs [no repeats!] to use in this block, with another set of 20 to set aside for use in another project!)

How to sew half square triangle units (HSTs):

Diagram of steps in making a pair of half square triangle units.

One background fabric and one main fabric square - each square measures 2" x 2" and will make a pair of 1.5" half square triangle units.
  1. Pair one 2"  background fabric square and one 2" main fabric square and place right sides together, aligning edges. 
  2. On the wrong side, mark a diagonal line.
  3. Sew a 1/4" seam on each side of the marked diagonal line.
  4. Cut apart along the marked line.
  5. Press seam towards the darker fabric and trim the two matching HSTs to 1.5"x 1.5".
Layout Diagram:
  1. Refer to the above diagram for placement of all the squares and HSTs needed to make your block.
  2. Working row by row, from left to right, sew each square, right sides together.
  3. Press all seams in a row, in the same direction, after sewing is complete on the row.
  4. Continue sewing the squares in each row together until all rows are complete.
  5. Each row will alternate the direction of pressing seams, so that the seams will nest together when the rows are sewn together.
  6. Sew the rows, right sides together, with seams nesting. Press seams open.
  7. Congratulations your block is complete!



 Please let me know if my tutorial  has been helpful and if you'd be interested in the whole alphabet!  I am considering turning all the letters into this scrappy block style, in the form of a PDF pattern. 

Happy sewing!

Comments

  1. Thank you for this little tut. I'm in the process of making my granddaughter table runners for every month. She is getting married in Sept. & this will be spectacular with her & her new husbands names & date on one. Thanks again. Keep those scraps flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And my name starts with K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'll be making this one for sure as a mini to hang in my sewing room! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this pattern! Yes, I'd love for you to offer the entire alphabet! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine, Of course this is beautiful, both blocks are adorable. I could make one for me. I want to.
    You are always inspiring. Really you are

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I have 6 grandchildren. This would make a pretty pillow for them. Kids love their names on things, so their initial would be great! I hope you do a PDF pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved both of your special "K" samples. Such a neat way to use up fabric scraps. You have the most fun fabrics to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my yes would love the whole alphabet - wonderful ideas and lovely blocks
    they will make...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this tutorial Katherine!! My name is Kathy and I am working on a 1 1/2 inch red, pink and white quilt so this will be perfect in my quilt. I would love if you did all of the alphabet. Thank you for your generosity!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so cute! Would love the whole alphabet! Making the 'K' block now. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love this! Would love the whole alphabet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea. I would love the complete alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look great. Have you done any more letters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  14. Love this. Yes Yes Yes for the whole alphabet!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I definitely need H, M, S & D. Your finished letter is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anxiously waiting fir more letters ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your letter looks great.. I would love it, if you did the whole alphabet. I ca think of some great projects. Thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!